Sarah’s Indian Journey
Day 1 – True Grit
Sunday 8th November
After looking forward to this moment for so long I finally arrived in Kolkata this morning minus my suitcase. However, based upon the sage advice from a good friend who has grim experience in these matters, I had packed a spare pair of drawers in my hand luggage so things were not quite so hopeless. (Thanks Noel!).
The drive from the airport had me instantly smiling as we wove through the traffic merrily tooting and swerving, avoiding hot lazy dogs, lean angular cattle, rickshaws and vehicles of every description with wobbly wheels and even narrowly missing a reckless wheelchair user going the wrong way round quite a busy roundabout. Everybody seemed to happily, yet calmly join in this chaotic way of going about their business.
I spent an inspiring day with Janet Maitland, the Ambassador for Shaping Futures along with a hand over from the enthusiastic Anthony McMeiken and a committed Sara McBride who have done a fantastic job so far. They were both so sad to leave all the young people they have coached for the last two weeks and I am absolutely sure they will be back volunteering another year. They spent the afternoon showing me around the local area whilst they looked for gifts to take back home. Those beautiful silk fabrics along with Anthony and Sara’s wonderful personalities will certainly light up the streets of Durham and Perth.
Sarah signing off…..zzzzzzzz
20 Years of The Hair Shop Kemnay
A great afternoon of nibbles and champagne to celebrate a tremendous 20 years of the The Hair Shop Kemnay and fundraising for the Schwarzkopf Shaping Futures Charity.
We would like to thank everyone who attended,it was a great start to our ongoing fundraising endeavors, also a thank you to Noelle for the incredible food, find her at http://www.andreefinefood.co.uk/ and of course the girls for all their help!
In the Chair with…
Such a wise head on young shoulders Isla has now achieved her Modern Apprenticeship in Hairdressing and has taken to it like a duck to water. The brain child fae Rothie spends her free time with her family tinkering around attaching tow bars to cars, riding horses and dog sitting for family while they are enjoying themselves on holiday. What a heroine!
The best thing my parents taught me… Nothing in life is unachievable if you work hard at it, and I’m a grafter!
What I love most about hairdressing… You can make someone’s day. Its always expanding
My proudest hairdressing moment… When I finished my SVQ Level 3 Modern Apprenticeship
I think my clients love me because… I try and put people at ease and really listen to want they are saying
My favourite part of the working week... Tuesdays, they are the start to my week
One thing I would change about the hairdressing industry… The stereotype given to hairdressers
If I wasn’t a hairdresser now I’d be… I’ve never really thought about it, I have always wanted to be hairdresser
My biggest influence… My Mum
My greatest weakness… Pizza!
If I could change anything about myself I’d… I would of learnt to drive sooner
It’s not good for my image but I like… To go home on a saturday a put my jammies on and dance around my bedroom!
The song i can never get out of my head is… Newton Faulkner – Dream Catch Me
The most expensive thing I’ve ever frittered money on was… Cigarettes 😦
My last meal would be… Hunters chicken and homemade spicy potato wedges, mmmm
In the chair with…….
Rache Milne is one of our most senior stylists and Alford wouldn’t be Alford without this Goddess of the hairdressing world. Her attention to detail is bordering on obsession but this is oh so important when one wants the perfect head of high-lights in the most flattering of shades.
The best thing my parents taught me… Honesty
What I love the most about hairdressing… There’s no boundaries – limitless
My proudest hairdressing moment… My 15 year anniversary @ The Hair Shops
I think my clients love me because… Im honest to the core
My favourite part of the working week… Saturdays
One thing I would change about the hairdressing industry… Holiday allowance (tee hee)
If I wasn’t a hairdresser now I’d be… In the music industry
My biggest influence… My mum
My greatest weakness… Jack Daniels
If I could change anything about myself I’d… Drink More
It’s not good for my image but I like… Dance and sing in the shop
The song i can never get out of my head is… Creedence Clearwater Revival – Fortunate Son
The most expensive thing I’ve ever frittered money on was… Fags!
My last meal would be… Christmas Dinner
The dreary weather, back to work blues not forgetting the post christmas come down can take its toll so make a clean sweep for 2014
January always has a unique promise for what the year ahead may hold. Its a milestone month because its a fantastic chance to pause and take stock of where our lives are at.
Instead of making a grand resolution in January try and abide by the motto “better then yesterday” We think it means improve on the past today, whether its trying something different or tweaking a daily routine, or setting realistic goals, remember its the little things that make life wonderful!
This month we are celebrating simplicity and the joy of getting back to basics. We’ve always believed small changes in your life are as enriching as big ones, so pay us a visit and find lots of inspiration advice and insider tips on how to look and feel your best.
Heres a few simple tips for keeping your tresses in tip top coniditon:
- Have regular trims. Even if your growing it! Long hair is typically more susceptible to breakage, split end, and to appearing thinner. If you color or highlight your hair, it is even more likely to have damage. Regular haircuts will help keep your hair strong and healthy.
- Eat right for your hair type. As hair is made of protein, ensuring you have enough protein in your diet is crucial for making hair strong and healthy this can be found in chicken, turkey, fish, dairy products and eggs. Iron is an especially important mineral as well as Omega 3, Vitmin A, B and C. A few to look for are green vegetables such as broccoli, kale and salad greens, blueberries, avocado, seeds and nuts are all amazing.
- Care and styling. Its essential to use the correct products for your hair type, skin type needs a specific treatment? so same goes for hair. We highly recommend Schwarzkopf Bonacure, it will give you the personalised nourisment and protecion to last. Our superhero product is “Bonacure Sealed Ends” leave in conditioner for that extra boost of nourishment!
- Deep Condition. Weekly treatments are great for boosting dull hair. Schwarzkopf are the fastest absorbing hair treatments we’ve ever used! You work it into your hair after shampooing, and leave on 10-15mins or longer if you want! Then rinse and you’ll be Bonacure left with luscious locks!
- The No Heat Challenge. We all need breaks and that includes our hair!
- Find The Best Colour to Suit. We can advise and guide you through a colour consultation to achieve the best combination to complement skin tone, eye colour and fashion.
Hope this helps!
The Hair Shop xx